Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Strength training.

I've been having a rough couple of days.

I haven't been sleeping, which is partially due to my recently developed sensitivity to the lights in the parking lot of my apartment (there is no good reason for their brightness other than the landing of a plane... curtain shopping is happening soon), but also due to the overall stress of being in a completely different situation.  Law school is a LOT of work, I'm away from Brown friends, I'm away from my family, and I'm in a completely new location.  What I've found in the past week or so is that my biggest problem is being away from my church.

This is not in the sense that I haven't been able to see God in what I'm doing, or in the people around me: I'm at an Augustinian university, so there be mad churches everywhere and a cross in every classroom.  The people I've met have nearly all been kind, friendly, and helpful, and it's very easy to see God at work in them.  I'm talking more about the fact that I built a community at Brown, which I'm now distanced from.

The choir here is maybe 7 or 8  times as large as the one at Brown, and the church (and its attendance) are about 5 times as large as Brown's.  They hold 5 Sunday Masses there, there are three priests, tons of Villanova students, families, stained glass windows, full pews, more than one tenor, half a dozen EMs, a busy parking lot...

And.  I. Feel.  So.  Alone.

I think it's because I don't feel "needed" at this church.  I'm one of like, 2 dozen altos that can sing decently,  and if I'm not singing I'm sitting by myself, getting there a little too early, praying a little too intensely, sitting uncomfortably close to the lovely people next to me, accidentally belting out harmony parts because I've forgotten melodies.

God's there, He's everywhere, but the point of church for me is a gathering of souls to pray and praise Him and just generally get happier because you've got this awesome thing in common.  But when I can't connect to a church, I get frustrated and figure I might as well be praying in bed and singing in the shower. 

The choir here is great, and there is an activities fair for the law school that will showcase a Catholic law student group (among other things, obviously), but right now I'm kind of pushing on alone.  Of course, with my brain, I immediately go into the spiral of "this is pathetic, He's still there, why are you complaining?  There are people across the world and across time who have been in situations that are actually HOSTILE to their faith, and they stuck it out.  You're complaining because the church is full, and so you're not necessary? Please.  Grow up."

I eventually remember that even though I'm in this pathetic state, God loves me and thinks I'm worth it, and it's not like he's not there; I'm just selfish. 

Anybody else had this problem?  It doesn't even have to be a religious organization.  It's just an odd feeling of not feeling at home in a place where I'm used to safety and confidence, simply because I don't have responsibilities.  Does this even make sense?  If Christina be crazy, tell her.

2 comments:

  1. I'm lucky that the church I've found in Boston is already more of a community to me than any other has ever been. I can't wait to go back again, and I'm dreading the idea that my frisbee tournament might run too late on Sunday for me to make the evening mass. The Paulist Center is an amazing place.

    Are there service opportunities through the church you've been going to? I was thinking of helping at the weekly soup kitchen meal - maybe something like that could make you feel like you're a part of the community more.

    And no, you're not crazy. When I went from captaining my frisbee team to playing on other teams where I didn't know everyone or even just wasn't captaining, I felt really weird about being a part of the team. I didn't have such crazy responsibilities anymore, but I felt kind of lost. This spring it was better because I still felt a strong sense of belonging; last summer was a disaster for ultimate; this summer and fall are going great. I finally feel comfortable playing and contributing just in that way. I'm sure you'll adjust - it's just really different. (Also please call me tonight?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most definitely not alone. I'm going by myself to a Catholic church until Eric and I decide to pick our new faith, and I feel alone too. Mass feels so rushed - I feel like by the time I get in "the zone" (for lack of a better term) we're walking out. No one really talks to me, although I probably don't talk to anyone either, so I can't complain too much - but it's night and day compared to my church back in MD.

    Just saying I empathize. :)

    ReplyDelete