Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Coming and going.

Yes, I've been in school forever, so this is a pet peeve of mine and may not apply to everyone, but you have to remember a time that it did apply, right?

Going into and leaving classrooms is an art.  An art that apparently got cut by the school budget for Life, The Elementary School because no one seems to know how to do it.  I'm going to start with how to enter a classroom first and we'll work our way up, shall we?

Don't stand by the door like the classroom is gonna suddenly turn into a subway car and dash away without notice.  People need to get out before you can get in, and all you're accomplishing by not moving your dumb body is making people hate you, and gridlock.  My favorite people who do this are the ones with both a huge backpack and textbooks in their arms, so when you ask them (or push them... I make things happen) to move, they respond like concussed turtles and the resulting movement is marginally slower than continental drift.  Wh..what? You need me to... to move??  I don't understand, I wanna get in my classroom, why are all these people hereeee whiiiiiine...

Other. people. use. this. room.  I understand the fun in getting there early and setting up, but sometimes the classroom has other people in it.  Please get that through your brain and stop acting like you deserve reparations for the fact that someone else had the nerve to worship at YOUR Temple of Learning.

Aaaaaaalso, if you're waiting outside the room, your voice WILL travel and it WILL disturb the people inside.  And if, say, a person in the classroom comes out and aks, for example, "hey guys, I'm sorry, but we can hear you in here, do you mind keeping it down?" (not a direct quote or anything), the correct response is generally something along the lines of "oh, sorry!" or "we'll be quieter."  It is decidedly NOT "what time does your class end?"  Not f***ing NOW, champ, so please shut it for the next nine minutes so I can hear what the poor student who just got cold-called is saying from the back of the Classroom The Size of an Average Balkan Republic.  You can wait your turn for the carousel and shut it until then, got it?

But apparently you don't and instead jump immediately into Goldfish Mode and forget within 90 seconds anything anyone's ever told you, ever, so your voice, two minutes later, not only matches but exceeds the decibel level you were reaching before.  Also, this remix of "Loud Hallway Talkers" has DJ Sux2BU adding his trademark braying laugh so it absolutely guarantees you can't hear a damn thing about contracts.  I will hunt you down, Mr. Laughter, and you will never laugh again.

Now, if you're attempting to leave a classroom, the general goal of "don't annoy every being around you" still stands, but there are some specifics, of course.  Like, don't take 8 years to pack up your stuff if people are streaming in.  Like, that conversation can probably happen anywhere so you need to tell your biffle that you'll 1, 2, meet her outside, and then do that.

Biggest problem (people getting off of escalators do this too, and I have no idea why): people who take two steps outside the classroom, and stop.  Unless someone just hit you with a Body-Bind Curse, there is no reason to look around you like the second floor hallway is the 8th Wonder of the Ancient World.  "Oh, my God, the track lighting in this hallway is even prettier than the Hanging Gardens of Babylon!  I shall GROW ROOTS and NEVER MOVE and all the people behind me who are just trying to get to lunch BE DAMNED."

All of this can be boiled down to spatial awareness and not being an ass.  Go forth and be not annoying.

2 comments:

  1. This is also how I feel every day on New York sidewalks/subway stations/hallways of the school I work in/etc. ARGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about other elementary teachers, but I must defend myself. I DO teach this. The problem is that the goldfish syndrome starts at birth and never goes away. I can tell kids every class period to wait AWAY from the door and not come in until ALL or most of the other kids are out of the room. This will still FAIL to happen every time. As for the loud talkers? At least in 5th grade my "Shut. It." face is still quite effective!

    ReplyDelete