Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving thanks and getting fat.

I plan to eat tomorrow until I cannot move and hate myself, nap for several hours, and then begin again.  My family already broke into a pie.  I ate two pieces.  My attitude for Thanksgiving eating is let those of you without sin cast the first stone.  I try to enforce that in my behavior elsewhere, but I MEAN IT when it comes to food.  I ate a pile of mashed potatoes the size of K-2?  Whatever, I saw you eat both drumsticks and enough stuffing to fill a silo.  Don't hate, appreciate.

I'm thankful for a lot of things, always, but trying to catalogue them is difficult.  You, dear readers, have the luxury of getting to hear all of my brilliant thoughts!  (Times like this I could honestly propose to and live a happy life with the narcissism that made blogs exist.  Internet, you da best.)  To come back to my original thought, I'm making a list, and please do not feel obligated to read it like any other post.  Those at least occassionally address common problems: this is straight-up me loving the sound of my own keyboard.

I'm thankful for:
  • My little sister.  She's a ridiculous human being, but she's kind of my hero.  She's so grounded, tough, and not afraid to speak her mind, and I envy that about her.  I think she's currently blasting music in her room which is totally normal.
  • Books.  Ultimate escape that gives me the ultimate high.  
  • Catching every green light on the way to school
  • Laughing until I cry and not even trying to stop it
  • Going to kids' movies
  • When the congregation sings along to the closing song at Mass
  • When you bake earlier in the day, leave, completely forget that you baked, come home, and get super excited that your house or apartment smells really good and you have delicious food
  • Unexpected happy mail
  • Big envelopes (okay, so I've been a student forever and these still mean something to me)
  • My parents, for being overall tough as hell on me but determined to make my life better than theirs.  Doubt they'll read this, but just in case: you guys didn't "screw me up."  You're not perfect, but no one is.  You care, and that's the most important part.
  • All of my friends who may disagree with me on religious or political grounds but are happy to discuss, take it seriously, and still love me.  Y'all rock.
  • Cardigans
  • Nice conversations with cashiers and sales clerks
  • The 3/4 measure in Livin' On a Prayer
  • The characterization of Keladry of Mindelan in the Protector of the Small series
  • People letting me pet their dogs
  • Snow
  • The release you get from spitting a verse of rap correctly and angrily
  • Quoting a movie and having just one person recognize it and laugh
  • Andrew Marshall.  You like me for all the reasons I like me, and you make me happy.  Even though you're a nerd and a half, and I'm pretty sure you might marry a rat and the Brown Band will play at your rat wedding.
  • Chocolate
  • Finally playing correctly a passage you've been practicing forever and having to stop right after the measures are over because you're smiling and fist pumping too hard to continue
  • Pandora being brilliant
  • (Watch me get all enigmatic and Livejournal-y) The ten or so people who have let me share my personal garbage and haven't run away from me
  • Not working Black Friday for the first time in four years
  • My hair behaving on a day I want it to
  • A homily that says exactly what I need to hear
  • Brown
  • Villanova
  • Life.  It's pretty awesome.
D'awwww.  I know.  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. "The release you get from spitting a verse of rap correctly and angrily..."
    or the sheer joy and excitement you feel when "Shoop" comes on at 3 in the morning in a club in Albany, when you've been thinking about what's wrong in the world for the past two hours... how it can completely erase your funk and make you shake your body with spasmodic exuberance!

    "Quoting a movie and having just one person recognize it and laugh"
    That person will always be me! I told someone the other day that I didn't want to churn butter, I just wanted fresh air!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was like "YES" to many of the items on your list. However, I have to comment on one in particular. You know the one.

    I THANK THE LORD EACH DAY FOR THE 3/4 MEASURE IN LIVIN' ON A PRAYER.

    ReplyDelete