Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Quick thing about the Miss Utah deal

In case you weren't aware, this happened at the Miss USA pageant.


I've got a nice long list of why I'm angry about what happened and the response.  Yay lists!

1. "She's pretty, it doesn't even matter what comes out of her mouth!"
Right, let's split that "pretty girls can't be smart" idea some more, so that the entire world legitimately thinks that if you are more attractive you legit cannot be intelligent.  Stop that right now.  And if your argument is "no but seriously, society will just hand her whatever she wants, she doesn't have to be smart!" well then okay.  Yes, maybe? But don't reinforce it! 

2. "She put herself in the public sphere so it's totally okay to mock her"
Nope nope nope.  You're still being a punk-ass jerk if you make fun of her for panicking in a charged situation.  Did she hurt anyone?  Did she kick your dog? Nah, she just looked kinda silly for like 30 seconds, and if your response is "LOLOL look at this dumb Barbie" that's awful.  Don't do that, you're mean.

3. "lol bitches be trippin/women be tryna speak"
You know you're awful.  If I hated myself enough, I'd explore the lowest depths of the internet to see how many "haha get back in the kitchen" comments I could find regarding this young woman, but I don't hate myself.

4. A Real Housewife asked this question
I...don't really know what to say.  We have a woman whose reality show title inherently makes her "not the breadwinner" for hr family.  Also Real Housewives exists.  I'm sad and I can't quite articulate why.

5. The question asked "what does this say about society"
You're attempting to make a person sum up in less than the time it takes to reheat a slice of pizza a topic that has been the source of countless dissertations, nonstop legislation, and a decades-long battle.  But okay, she's got this.  Granted, she could have just said "sexism" and dropped the mic but I don't think pageant contestants are encouraged to use that word and/or drop the mic.

6. PAGEANTS STILL EXIST
WHY WHY WHY.  If I think about this too much my brain gets a little too close to rage-exploding.  The Q&A section exists because otherwise Miss USA and the Westminster Dog Show would have too much in common.  It was made by men for the enjoyment of men, and if the word "poise" is thrown around anymore to excuse parading women around in sexy outfits for the "honor" of being chosen, I will make it my life's mission to ensure that every time anyone vaguely associated with pageants tries to use the word "poise," it comes out "porpoise" instead.

I am NOT insulting the women participating.  They made a choice that I would not have made, but that's because the world at large told them it's an okay choice to make. 

That would be, harsher punishments for parole violators, Stan.  And...world peace!

1 comment:

  1. "Granted, she could have just said "sexism" and dropped the mic but I don't think pageant contestants are encouraged to use that word and/or drop the mic." <--I would watch that pageant!

    Also "The Q&A section exists because otherwise Miss USA and the Westminster Dog Show would have too much in common." OH SNAP. You just went in. Love it.

    ReplyDelete